Photo sessions with kids are wonderful...but sometimes parents feel worried about making sure their child behaves in a specific way. If you’re preparing for a photo session with your children, you may be feeling a bit apprehensive. Children aren’t always easy to deal with, which is why the below tips will definitely come in handy before your upcoming photo session.
1. Don't make a huge deal out of it. If you're stressed out and cranky, your kids will usually pick up on it and act accordingly. Their behavior will usually be better if you are relaxed and having fun. You may have to make some compromises to keep the peace such as letting your energetic daughter's hair stay straight instead of curling it into because she won't sit still. Focus on the big picture and don't sweat the small stuff.
2. Make it fun. Let the kids have a couple “fun pictures” where they get to pick their own pose or props. You get to keep the more serious photos while they get to keep their silly photos. This way everyone wins. If you are struggling to get your kids to sit still, turn the photo session into a game. Being silly usually brings on the best expressions - ones that you'll treasure for a lifetime!
3. Be prepared. If you're going to be out for several hours, ensure that your children are well rested and have had their nap. Bringing some snacks and activities along is also a great idea. If you are having your own photos taken too then you might want to bring a babysitter or family member along to watch the kids. If you happen to be shooting in a remote location, you never know when you might need something like an extra blanket to keep warm, bug spray, tissues or a first aid kit so bring that along too.
4. Be patient. Save your sanity by trying not to control the photo session too much. Sometimes the best photos come from kids just doing their own thing. Work with your photographer and your photos will look fantastic.
5. Have a chat. Get your children talking to both you and the photographer about topics such as school or their favorite songs. This allows them to feel more comfortable around your photographer and will also give your photographer a chance to capture a few candid and cute expressions.
The happier and more relaxed you are, the happier and more relaxed your kids will be. I want you to have the best time during your session so when you look back at those images, you will remember all of the joy you shared together!
Always & Forever,
I don't think it is a secret - I LOVE family time at the lake! This summer I thought I would try to do something new by adding in short & sweet sessions out at the lake. I think this might be one of my new favorite sessions!!!
The session I wanted to share with you today is the Lipp Family.
These kids were just the sweetest! You could tell how much they adore each other! They were even encouraging each other as we battled the masses of ants on the beach!
And I just have to say...I am a total sucker for dimples! Can you even believe how adorable they are?!?
Ashley told about some of the memories that she has out at the lake as a child. It warms my heart to think about how her children are able to make memories - walking down the same path - enjoying playing on the same beach - swimming and splashing in the same lake...
and those memories will last their lifetime.
These are the moments and the memories that will last forever...
I am so thankful that Ashley contacted me to preserve life's precious memories at the lake!
If you are interested in learning about the upcoming short & sweet sessions we have available this fall - check out this link for more info.
Stay tuned as I start to share more of these sessions from the summer!
I'm excited to share these sweet & loving families with you!
Forever & Always,
This is a place where you can learn about the amazing people I've photographed and about my loves outside of my work life.